Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Kitchen Sink Dyeworks

I recently sold off some stash yarns on Ravelry and put the money towards a new yarn that I am really excited about. It is a superwash sock yarn, hand painted by Kitchen Sink Dyeworks. They have lots of yarns and lots of color choices - no two hand painted skeins are the same. My color is Farmhouse: full of robins egg blue, turquoise, light greens, butter cream yellow and dashes of white. They have lots of other beautiful selections such as Dandelion, Fiesta, Chicago Blues, Harvest Red, Indian Corn and Absinthe.

I'd had the yarn I sold for many years. I think I purchased it when I was living in New York City (pre-kids) and just getting into knitting. Apparently I really liked big needles back then b/c the kids sweater I made with that yarn called for size 15 needles. I seem to have transitioned to smaller needles since then. I am happy the yarn went to someone that is going to use it and I am happy that I found something new that I will use.

After some years of trial and error I am finding my knitting style and yarn preferences. And while nothing will replace going to my LYS and picking out yarn for a special project, I am excited to build a base of yarns that I can draw from when inspiration hits. This was also my first purchase through Etsy and I am smitten.

I think this yarn will make its way into a pair of "no purl" monkey socks (knit the same pattern, just substitute knit sts for the purl sts). Lots of folks are going for this modified sock pattern on ravelry and I think that this yarn would look quite nice. I hope to cast on one evening this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh is that yarn beautiful! I can't wait to see the socks they become. What a great company name, too.