Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
These are a k3p1 rib around the calf and along the top of the foot. The basic sock pattern is from the Ann Budd book. These are going to be comfy and warm by the fire this winter!
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
This hat is just the right inspriation for me to get going on this.
Sunday, October 19, 2008
I also love having the instant feedback from other knitters, including designers. As an example, I posted a message on the pattern forum re: the mystery baby bonnet. Within the day I had received 5 responses that directed me where to go to get a copy of the pattern. I couldn't believe the rapid, and helpful response, I got to my question.
Saturday, October 18, 2008
Inspired by TT, I've taken the Esty Handmade pledge. Here's why. Go and check it out for yourself. Very inspriational and given the state of the economy it may be one of the most fiscally responsible things to do this year. And if I can't do the handmade thing for everyone on my list (not enough time), then I pledge to buy local as much as possible.
Thursday, October 16, 2008
I also completed the quilt for my swap partner and I will get it in the mail shortly. I've only posted a little preview photo as I want it to be a surprise for her.
Tuts were also in order this week as both girl have requested to be ballerinas for Halloween. So, with some inspiration from here and guidance from here I endeavored on making some. Sewing through ribbon and 8 layers of gathered tulle is more difficult than I imagined! I went with a machine sewn design as I was not too sure that the no-sew examples out there would really hold up in the long run. I am glad I did. These tutus have already been around the block on bikes, raked leaves and been party to jumping contests off the living room couch. I have to say, they are holding up! I can't, however, get a photo for the life of me. Maybe when the big day arrives the girls will be more willing to pose. I purchased some cream colored leggings and log sleeve t-shirts from Target to go underneath and they both have pink slippers that I can dress-up with some ribbon to look like ballet slippers. With crowns and wands from the dress-up chest I think the girls will be ready for trick-or-treat.
Last, but not least, my knitting. I am still working on some socks and once those are done I will return to the little sweater to finish it up. I also ordered EZ's knitter's almanac this week and cast on for the embossed leaves socks - size 1 needles are indeed small!
Monday, October 13, 2008
I did alter the pattern slightly to make the stripes run horizontal instead of vertical for this one. I had to, once I realized that I had cut the flower fabric in that direction! I also added a few touches, like a strip of the tan backing fabric on the front. A second practice quilt, which also runs horizontal, is in the works too - lighter colors with some Amy Butler fabric.
As for my partners quilt I am making good progress. I did the cutting and piecing last week and finally purchased some good thread to do the quilting with. I also made the binding strips in a fit of crafty energy late one night last week, after typing until my fingers hurt. [I did correct my orientation problem for this one . I designed and sewed it vertically, as implied by the BTRS pattern photo.] I hope to have that quilt ready and in the mail by sometime next week.
Friday, October 10, 2008
And, regardless of who you support, make your voice heard; get out and vote on November 4th.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
What this means is that I have some serious catch-up to play. Halloween and fall decorations to put up, costumes to make, pumpkins to carve, and never-ending chatter about trick-or-treat, ghosts and the dark. To get us off on the right foot I think we'll tackle this project over the weekend.
Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Monday, October 6, 2008
I've been taking a break from sewing and knitting as there are pressing deadlines looming for school: conference papers, fellowship applications and my dissertation proposal. I'm off to sunny FL in early November for the annual ASHE conference, the two fellowship applications are due in just a couple weeks and I submitted the first draft of my dissertation proposal to my advisor this past week. I am now anxiously awaiting feedback to see how much farther I must go before scheduling a proposal defense date (hopefully before December 15th). Once I leap that hurdle I will officially become a dissertator.
However, my in-laws came for a visit this past weekend - partially to help celebrate a first birthday for our youngest. In a rush to get ready I finished up this wall hanging and put it up. I am very happy with how it turned out. I even put two back hanging pockets on it, but no label yet. These crazy 9-patches are the remaining six blocks from my earlier work, what I consider Version 1. Also, now that I've got the hang of binding strips I think that I will take that other one back from my Mom and re-work it. Hope you all have a good week - I'll be putting my nose to the keyboard, so to speak.