Friday, February 22, 2013

FO: Another too big sweater!


Such is the curse of the impatient knitter - or at least the one that casts on without regard for gauge.  No matter, she will eventually grow into it, just like this one.  I also realized there is another vest I finished and never blogged about that is too big.  I'll save that one for when it fits, and claim my work then (smile).


This lovely hooded wallaby is knit up in Peace Fleece in the most amazing blue-aqua color, Kamchatka Sea Moss.  The Kamchatka Peninsula is in the far eastern reaches of Russia, near the Bearing Sea.  You can read a bit about what makes the Kamchatka so special here.
I knit this wallaby to the 2yo measurements and added an extra inch in length at both the waist and arms.  I also modified the design details - based on the other two I knit years ago - and should have remembered that without the ribbing the fit is always bigger anyway.  My modifications include rolled hems at the waist and wrists, with seed stitch detailing on the pocket, placket and hood.  I just prefer that look for some reason.  I also seamed the hood using a mattress stitch at the end instead of trying for the kitchener stitch.  I can barely handle that exercise with 16 or so stitches on a sock toe.  The 30-odd stitches for this hood was just too much for me to deal with, although it would have made a nice seamless hood.
While the yarn is still a bit rustic to work with (which I personally love), I am really happy with how soft it became after a good soaking and blocking.


The sweater took about 2.5 skeins and I'm using the last bit for a thank you gift for a friend.  She was over one day and admired it on the mantle straightaway, commenting on the lovely color. She's in the midst of a kitchen remodel and this gift will be perfect for her.  She is a very talented local graphic designer/sewist and she volunteered her time and expertise to help me print some custom Spoonflower fabric.  More on that fascinating project in the near future!

Monday, February 18, 2013

FO: Modified Lighthouse Keeper's Wife


After completing repairs on that stack of sweaters in the fall, I had still more left over yarn.  In fact, I had almost a whole skein of Cascade Eco+ and wasn't quite sure what to do with it.  I was hoping for a wardrobe staple, something warm, unassuming and simple. 
After a quick search on ravelry I came across the Lighthouse Keeper's Wife pattern.  I knew that I didn't have enough yarn to do the flowing front. or long sleeves, but keeping the sides straight gave me just enough yarn to reach to my hip.  It is a simple knit, akin to a sweatshirt with hood.  In hindsight I would probably like it a tad better with some waist shaping, but it's just fine for what it is: a quick knit that is functional.


Aside from stopping the front increases after the arm holes, I also modified to make the first and last five stitches on each rose seed stitch.  This keeps the fabric from rolling in on itself, and give the cardigan a smidgen of visual interest.  The sleeves are finished with just two rows of garter stitch.  The bottom hem is just a scant three rows of seed stitch - I ran out of yarn!
I gave it quite the test drive last week while I was home sick with an unnamed but totally wicked stomach virus.  I can report it held up better than I did (smile).