Saturday, January 23, 2010

She wanted her own.



My youngest loves coloring, especially when her big sisters are around and doing it too. Recently there was a squabble over the colored pencil rolls and I knew it was time to make a third. I'm really happy with how this one turned out; my sewing and assembly skills are improving little by little.

The basic pattern is from LMPQG, but I made a roll that only has 12 pockets. I used a linen fabric from the stash for the exterior, fabric scraps for the interior, and an old flannel receiving blanket for the batting. The ribbon is also from the stash, and while it's not my first color choice, I was determined to use up what I have rather than run to the store to buy something new.





The pencils pictured are from Melissa & Doug. They are awesome. They are big, sturdy and shaped like triangles (to minimize rolling off table tops!) I highly recommend spending the extra couple dollars to a nice set, rather than the cheap ones on sale. I can't believe it's taken me this long to learn this lesson: it helps everyone when I get the nicer art supplies for the kids. Less frustration on their part, and fewer trips to the store to purchase replacement supplies on my part. While I spent a bit more on these sets I know that they will last for quite some time.

I made this roll earlier this month, but I would like to add it to the idea book challenge hosted by Rebekah. I own the book and pulled it off the shelf when it was time to make this little project.

4 comments:

ten finger workshop said...

I love love love how the patches of fabric coordinate with the pencil colors. Maybe it was good that she had to wait, this is very special.

Rebekah said...

adorable! What a cute project.

Our friends were just talking about Melissa and Doug the other day...seems like really great, high quality products

Anonymous said...

You are certainly talented!

Unknown said...

Oh, what genius, to line each slot with a color-coded print! So charming.

molly
http://www.remedialeating.com