Saturday, December 24, 2011

Dispatch from the Workshop, Part 2 (Kids crafts)

kid-made ornaments




















I can't remember where I saw this idea on-line, but I know that I got it from a fellow blogger this holiday season.  With the help of some colorful fabric markers the girls and I came up with some simple, kid-friendly, and kid-made, ornaments. 

I drafted some basic shapes on the chalkboard for them (fir tree, stick reindeer, snowman and Santa hat) and they used them as inspiration for their own drawings.  My middle daughter decided to go her own route with one of the ornaments and drew a picture of 'vacation.'  I think she misses the warm weather!

Each of the girls made three drawings on one piece of fabric, and signed their work on a second.  I matched them up, sewed around being sure to place a ribbon loop for hanging, and lightly stuffed them with poly-fill.  After trimming the excess fabric they looked great!

We are definitely keeping a set for our tree, but the others are destined for family. 


1 comment:

melissa q. at a happy stitch said...

This is awesome! I'm totally stealing it for next year.