Saturday, November 17, 2012

FO: Circle scarf vs. cowl

I came home from a meeting the other week wearing my most beloved FO in recent memory.  My husband said, "Oh!  You have a circle scarf!"  My reply?  "No, I knit my own cowl."  As the husband of an avid knitter, I would have expected him to incorporate the word cowl into his vocabulary.  Much the way that I throw around words like router or end grain.

So I ask you - it is really called a circle scarf?  Or is that what men call them, while us gals refer to them as cowls?  Or am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?

Either way, it is lovely.  The perfect color (it goes with red, brown, turquoise, black, gray...) and the perfect size.  I bound off at a narrower width then I first expected, but I am so happy with the sizing - and now I have extra yarn to keep for another future project.  Finished measurements are approximately 24 inches in diameter, and 7 inches wide.  The pattern can be found for free here.


Ann Wegner LeFort said...

I've heard "circular scarf" among other terms. I always thought of a cowl as more closely fitting--or the type of collar on a sweater/shirt. But then there's also the gaiter, which is another animal entirely. You guys are pretty funny. I know B and I have had some similar conversations about terminology.

FiveGreenAcres said...

It's so lovely!! The color suits you perfectly.

Lyschel Bersch said...

I think I am a bad girl. I think of those as circle scarfs :) Very beautiful