Monday, February 18, 2013

FO: Modified Lighthouse Keeper's Wife


After completing repairs on that stack of sweaters in the fall, I had still more left over yarn.  In fact, I had almost a whole skein of Cascade Eco+ and wasn't quite sure what to do with it.  I was hoping for a wardrobe staple, something warm, unassuming and simple. 
After a quick search on ravelry I came across the Lighthouse Keeper's Wife pattern.  I knew that I didn't have enough yarn to do the flowing front. or long sleeves, but keeping the sides straight gave me just enough yarn to reach to my hip.  It is a simple knit, akin to a sweatshirt with hood.  In hindsight I would probably like it a tad better with some waist shaping, but it's just fine for what it is: a quick knit that is functional.


Aside from stopping the front increases after the arm holes, I also modified to make the first and last five stitches on each rose seed stitch.  This keeps the fabric from rolling in on itself, and give the cardigan a smidgen of visual interest.  The sleeves are finished with just two rows of garter stitch.  The bottom hem is just a scant three rows of seed stitch - I ran out of yarn!
I gave it quite the test drive last week while I was home sick with an unnamed but totally wicked stomach virus.  I can report it held up better than I did (smile).

No comments: