Monday, February 18, 2008

...I will blog "the scarf."

"The scarf" has been around for quite awhile. It was actually my very first knitting project when I re-learned how to knit. My friend Sara taught me in 2003 while we were living in NYC - she gets all the credit for my current knitting craze - but it was my grandmother (may she rest in peace) that first taught me how to knit when I was a little girl. I made the scarf for my (then) boyfriend (now husband). He loved it - or at least said he did. The colors and basic design were/are great, but what I didn't understand at the time was that stockingette stitch rolls up. This design element wasn't so great. So, it has been at least four years since I first knit that scarf and I have now decided to deconstruct it and start over in a rib stitch (3 by 3). It is coming along nicely, but I worry that using the recycled yarn is impacting the "look." I have hope that once I block it it will look great. Well...maybe at least I'll get another four years out of it before he asks for a new one altogether.

There is also "the sweater" that I started for him around the same time - yes, I got pompous and thought that once I completed a scarf I could knit anything - but that one is packed away in a box upstairs. Another story for another post...

No comments: