Monday, May 26, 2008

Birthday Banner

Here is a picture of a recently completed project! I am proud to say that I started and finished this one and there are no pieces of it sitting on any shelf, anywhere. This banner idea is so great I can't believe it. I made one that says "Happy Birthday" on one side and is just colorful patterns on the other. This way we can use it for all sorts of celebrations without worrying about the message. But, I am sure that this will also make it into our family birthday traditions for this year. I have kept it from the girls as of now and am excited to show it to them when their special day arrives late in the summer.

The best part of the banner, in my opinion, is the dysfunctional family fabric. I admire the cartoon representation of what life sometimes is really like around here!









The tutorial for this banner is from See Mommy Sew. She has wonderfully clear directions and pictures to follow. However, I did modify it for my own work. I wound up making the felt letters first, and then had cut the triangles to fit. Mine wound up being 5 inches wide by 10 inches tall. I did go ahead and use pinking shears on the edges of the triangles too - I thought it really added to the retro feel of the fabrics that I chose.









I also have to thank Homemade by Jill for organizing some of her favorite "to try" projects into one place. So far I have snatched two of the ideas from her list and added them to mine!

1 comment:

jacquie said...

Thanks so much for leaving a comment on my blog. Helped me find you too! Love your crazy nine patch. It's such a fun way to make a block.