Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Silent Auction

The daycare that my twins attend, 2 (short) mornings a week, is having a silent auction this Friday night. I couldn't make up my mind what to make for it (do I knit, sew or craft something?), and settled on a piece of woven fabric art like the one below. I didn't manage to get a photo of it before it went off to the daycare today, but I will try to get one this Thursday; maybe of it up on display. I used three batik fabrics - the orange and green ones from the "3 Great Bags" post, with a blue one that I had in the stash. It is framed 4x6 in a brown wooden shadow box. It turned out remarkably well. I titled it "The Elements" as I felt the flame orange, green and blue all represented a few of the fundamental elements of life - fire, water and foliage. Hopefully someone, other than my husband, will bid on it :)

Speaking of fundamental elements of life I have just started reading, "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. What an amazing book. I am sure that I will be blogging about it on the family blog shortly.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
UPDATE: My fabric art piece went for $35. There were two bidders and I even overheard other women commenting that they had wanted it. Pretty exciting! It is good to know what the upper end price for a piece like that might be.

No comments: