Monday, October 13, 2008

A new quilt in the family

A healthy, vibrant quilt has joined our home! As I am working on the btrs quilt for my swap mate I thought it would be a good idea to make a practice one (or two) first. I used pieces of the Erin McMorris park slope fabric I received from Sew, Mama, Sew awhile back, along side some solids and a nice tan globe print for the backing. The red binding was my husbands suggestion, and I think that it ties the whole thing together in a happy sort of way. It is made of the same fabric as the two red solid stripes (they are folded under in this photo). I think that it came out looking girly, but not feminine (in the traditional pink sense of the word).


I did alter the pattern slightly to make the stripes run horizontal instead of vertical for this one. I had to, once I realized that I had cut the flower fabric in that direction! I also added a few touches, like a strip of the tan backing fabric on the front. A second practice quilt, which also runs horizontal, is in the works too - lighter colors with some Amy Butler fabric.

As for my partners quilt I am making good progress. I did the cutting and piecing last week and finally purchased some good thread to do the quilting with. I also made the binding strips in a fit of crafty energy late one night last week, after typing until my fingers hurt. [I did correct my orientation problem for this one . I designed and sewed it vertically, as implied by the BTRS pattern photo.] I hope to have that quilt ready and in the mail by sometime next week.

1 comment:

K, M & little C said...

It's beautiful! I just finished by BTR's swap quilt and I'm in love with this pattern! Can't wait to make more. I'm impressed you fit one in BEFORE your swap quilt.