Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Weekend sewing

Over the weekend the girls and I found ourselves with a 50-degree, rainy day and Dad gone for work. What were we to do? The girls declared it a sewing day, and I happily obliged. It wasn't weekend sewing with Heather Ross (that book is arriving later this week!), but it was weekend sewing to be sure.

Last time I sewed with the girls I had each one sit in my lap and work the fabric into the machine. This time, I showed them how to use the foot pedal - with their hands.













Olivia has sometimes complained of her back hurting while we drive in the car (but at no other time?!?), so she asked that we make a car pillow for her back. Abby wanted one too. They picked out the fabric themselves, and I cut it. I started the stitching, but they completed it. I got out the poly-fil, but they stuffed the pillows themselves (all the while claiming that tutus, princess slippers and swim goggles were the required wardrobe for the project). I sewed them closed, but they will be the ones to use and love them.

To distinguish the pillows from one another - since they picked out identical fabrics - we used their first inital on the back of the pillows. I cut out the first letter of their names from an extra iron-on patch I had lying around.













Once the girls had their pillows I knew I'd have an extra 20 minutes while they immediately played with them. I got to work on a small, quick project that I've been wanting to try for some time - a coffee sleeve. Thanks to Erin of House on Hill Road for making the project so quick and so easy to pull together. You can find her tutorial here.

2 comments:

jk said...

Love the coffee sleeve! And sewing with little kids. I am a novice seamstress, but I've had such fun making simple projects with the kids using the foot pedal with their hands as well... I hope to have more time in the future to expand my own sewing skills and learn while I expose them to a wonderful lifelong skill!

Little C and Little J said...

Love these projects! And I LOVE the outfits required for sewing, those girls have something figured out that the rest of us are missing. Enjoy Weekend Sewing, the book. I'm loving it so far.