Wednesday, July 15, 2009

America's Knitting














I'm so excited to share that I was asked to participate in Wisconsin month on America's Knitting. You can check out my mittens here, as well as other gorgeous knitted projects from my fellow Wisconsinites.

The website itself is chock full of great information on knitting all across the United States and the site is dedicated in support of local yarn shops. Mary puts it quite simply, "Yarn shops are important." This is so true.

Speaking for myself, as a mostly self-taught knitter-learner, the yarn shop is the place I go for just about everything. Supplies/notions and yarn, sure. But for me they are also like a museum, research lab, library, resource center, socio-emotional center and teaching institution all rolled into one.

Mary's site is an invaluable tool for travelling knitters - she has current listings for many, many, many stores across the country all sorted by city and state, and she even gives you a map! I know that I'll be visiting to learn about the nearest LYS the next time I'm planning to attend a conference away from home. She also does in-depth coverage of specific stores on the spotlight page.

Mary wrote such kind words about my work and creative effort - it's more than enough to get me back to my needles, double-time.

3 comments:

Little C and Little J said...

And, so well deserved! Congratulations. It looks like a great effort to be involved in! I don't know how you find the time, either. Especially when you have to read the crazy books you have to read (linear curve modelling, phew.)

Amy said...

Hey! Good for you! Congrats.

Alexis said...

Very cool! I can't wait to check it out!