Saturday, August 15, 2009

Birthday knitting, crafting and sewing

My mom's birthday and my twins' birthday are a day apart in August. You already knew that my SIL's birthday was earlier this month too. This means a lot of crafty possibilities every August. This year I made crowns (ala Soulemama) with my girls and knit a pair of socks for my Mom. I put the socks inside v.2.0 of my re-usable fabric gift bag.

I cut and assembled the crowns, but the girls picked out the felt and accessories; they wanted noticeably more bling than the ones I envisioned :) They also decided on the placement of the flowers and the jewels. I couldn't find my darn glue gun, and didn't let the craft glue dry long enough, so half of the little beads fell off during the day. I guess we just get to re-decorate them all over again next year.















The socks are Spring Forward by Linda Welch knit on size 1.5 birch dpn's. I knit a pair of these earlier in the year for myself, in orange.


















This gift bag is a slight improvement over my previous version as the seams are thankfully inside the bag this time and the drawstring works better. The only thing I still can't figure out is how to make the entrance and exit holes for the draw string sit on the outside of the bag. The ones pictured here turn inwards. I'm sure this doesn't make sense, but in case it does, do you have any advice for me? Might I have to make the casing as a separate piece and then sew it to the bag?

After seeing my first bag, jsknitter (aka Joan who popped over from ravelry) talked me through making a proper drawstring and some advice on french seams. I'll be sure to incorporate her advice in v.3.0!

2 comments:

Hermione J. Schwartz said...

The crowns are great! The girls look very pleased with the results.

Here is a link to an Indie House post about drawstring bags: http://modernquiltlove.wordpress.com/2009/07/23/easy-eco-friendly-drawstring-produce-bags/

It's a really good tutorial, as are all her others. Good luck with v.3.0! =]

Little C and Little J said...

I love the reusable gift bag idea! So clever.