Saturday, April 10, 2010

FO: Men's Vest

I finished it!



And it fits him perfectly. It looks great; I'm so happy. The zipper was a bit more challenging than expected, but it's done. I machine sewed it to the vest and then hand sewed the ends with extra care. [The zipper came from Zippersource, a great place to order custom zippers!] For more info. on the project you can check ravelry or here.



The pattern is from an Australian knitting publication - which I borrowed from a friend - and the yarn is an undyed, locally-spun worsted weight wool. I learned a new cast-on technique and how to machine sew in a zipper. Overall a great project, but the challenge to finish was tough. It took under 750 yds. of yarn to knit, which made it an budget-friendly project too, but the zipper was an added expense.

If I were to knit the pattern again I would do an applied i-cord around the armholes as the Italian cast-off is difficult to manage and, I think, unnecessary there. The i-cord would give a nice finished look and match the detailing on either side of the zipper. I would also probably shave a few centimeters off the length of the neck/collar. It's pretty long.

6 comments:

meg said...

it's gorgeous! well done.

onemorerow.net said...

It is very handsome indeed! My hat is off to you for your zipper work, and I think it makes the vest more wearable and modern than if you had done buttons.

fivegreenacres said...

It looks perfect!

mama-pan said...

whoa, you are my knitting hero. The fit looks great--and what a functional, multi-season item!

Linnea Matulat said...

i am in awe of you.

Rebekah said...

what a beautiful vest! That looks like such a wearable fo! Beautiful job!