I finished up the selbu modern hat, just in time for the last dip in the temperatures this spring in Wisconsin. We are slowly starting the climb into warm temperatures and it has now been a few days since I've worn a hat. I'm excited for summer to arrive!
I modified the pattern slightly in that I used a different cast-on. This second photo is a close-up of that work. The tubular cast-on is fantastic - a nice stretchy rib to keep the look uniform and fit snug.
I also wanted to more close fitting hat (less tam and more toque) so I dropped one pattern repeat around. Thus I only did seven repeats around instead of the recommended eight. I have not yet blocked the hat, instead opting to let it stretch on it's own. I think the fit is just perfect right now and I don't see any puckering in the stranded knitting that I am concerned about.
The other object I recently finished was a quick pillow. This is a practice pillow - to learn how to make piping and put together a folded pillow cover that was relatively snug fitting. I just sort of winged the construction but used this incredibly detailed and informative tutorial to make the piping. All the material is left over from a project my Mom recently completed for our girls that I will post about next. DH is not thrilled with the bird, or bright turquoise color and says it looks like something that could belong in our non-existent vacation home in Florida (haha). It is bright, I admit, but it is growing on me. I think I'll keep it around for awhile.