Saturday, September 27, 2008

Time to play catch-up

I took a break from helena - even though the entire body of the piece is finished, sleeves too. I decided to take a little break before the edging and ties, however, because I got frustruated. It is WAY TOO BIG for my little one. Ah well, she can wear it next winter...and maybe this spring. It is a lovely sweater, but I failed to measure her and compare to the pattern before starting. Even though she is only turning 1 next week I decided to make the 2 y.o. size. My husband looked at me and laughed. He reminded me that in woodworking there is the phrase, "measure twice, cut once." In my case it should have been "Just measure."

During this break I went back to the advent calendar and decided that I had better get a move on with making the rest of the stockings before December rolls around. Here's progress on the newest one. If memory serves me I think I have 7 more to make before the holidays.


Once I finished up that little one I cracked open the Ann Budd book, Getting Started Knitting Socks, and proceeded to work on a pair of socks for myself. I'm up to finishing the leg of sock #1. I am using a worsted weight wool/silk blend, a cheap find at Joann's last week, in a purple hue and am loving it so far. The look and feel of the sock is making me much happier than my recent mango creation. The book has provided clear and simple instructions so far. She gives basic instructions and measurements for every weight yarn. This allows you to customize your socks as you want. Since the yarn has great variation I am working the sock in a k3p1 rib around the leg and down the top of the foot. This lets the yarn to take center stage, rather than a pattern.


I also received a package this week from KnitPicks. I bought some wonderful sock yarn during a recent sale and it finally arrived. Four skeins of green: two solid (Essential Sock Yarn in grass) and two handpainted (Imagination Hand Painted in Frogprince). I can't wait to knit these up too! I think for the solid I am going to work the Embossed Leaves pattern from Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave Press. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Shalet said...

I want to make socks but have so much other knitting to do before the holidays - maybe it will be a good January project for me.